In 1924, a property was purchased from Mr Mortimer to enable the St Anne’s Preparatory School to move to Hilton. St Anne’s Preparatory School was founded in Blackridge in 1921 and moved to Hilton on 13 August 1924. In February 1925, an impressive service of dedication was held when the choir, followed by the Bishop and five clergies, processed through the buildings singing ‘I Will Lift up Mine Eyes Unto the Hills’ and ‘Now Thank We All Our God’.
In 1926, St Anne’s decided to introduce the House system and the school was divided into three, according to dormitories in the main building – Macrorie, Usherwood, and Frances Baines.
By 1972, only 23 girls were in the preparatory section, and the St Anne’s Nursery School started in January 1972. In 1973, girls in Standard 5, the first Form 1, moved up to the College. Once these girls moved into Standard 6 (Grade 8), it was decided not to continue with Standard 5 and, after 50 years of existence as a separate entity, the St Anne’s Preparatory School was no more. The nursery school remained in the same building until June 1978, when it moved to new premises.
It was then decided to open a new house named after Miss Mollie Stone, who had been Lady Warden of the College from 1942 to 1950. Mollie Stone House opened in 1982, with senior girls from other Houses volunteering to join the new House. Together with new girls in the junior forms, there was a total of 50 girls in the House. Mollie Stone House was dedicated by Bishop Michael on Ascension Day – 20 May 1982.
Due to its location at the bottom of the school grounds near the vlei, Mollie Stone immediately became known as ‘Stonehenge’ or ‘Down in the Swamps’!
In December 2002, the inside of the house was renovated to upgrade the accommodation for the girls and to provide single rooms for Grade 12 girls and double rooms for Grade 11 girls. These rooms were fitted with built-in study desks and shelves. A Study Room with fitted desks and shelves was created for the Grade 10 girls so that they could do evening prep in the house. Mollie Stone now accommodated 52 girls.
In December 2005, further renovations saw the accommodation for the Housemistress and Boardermistress upgraded. There were also two new double rooms made available for Grade 11 girls. The house can now accommodate 57 residential boarders.
The Other Houses
- The opening of the new Andrews House by Bishop Fisher took place in 1946, although there was a delay...
- Frances Baines House was named after Miss Frances Baines, Lady Warden of St Anne's from 1907-1917.
- Macrorie House was named after Bishop Macrorie, who was involved with St Anne's from its inception in...
- Marianne Browne House was named after Miss Marianne Browne, Lady Warden of St Anne's from 1890 - 1903...
- Usherwood House was named after Miss Eliza Usherwood, Lady Warden of St Anne's from 1879 - 1889.