Andrews House was named after Miss Dorothy Andrews, Lady Warden of St Anne’s from 1917 – 1941.
In 1926, St Anne’s decided to introduce the House system, and the school was divided up into three, according to dormitories in the main building – Macrorie, Usherwood, and Frances Baines. By 1943, it was time to create a new house, so Andrews House was formed with volunteers from other houses. At that time, it was merely a regrouping of dormitories until a new home could be built.
The opening of the new Andrews House by Bishop Fisher took place in 1946, although there was a delay in moving into the new building. A door was ceremonially unlocked on 27 June by Mrs Fisher, wife of the Bishop, while the whole school circled around the building.
Andrews House was only occupied in October 1946, but the builders found that the new baths were too big for the bathrooms. As a result, the new baths went into Frances Baines (FB), FB baths were installed in Marianne Browne, and the Marianne Browne baths eventually came to Andrews – probably the only recorded instance of a kind of ‘musical baths’.
The first Andrews’ Housemistress was Miss Merter, and the Head of House was Beryl McKiever.
The school’s MacKenzie Memorial Library was initially housed in the basement of Andrews House but, once a separate building for the library was completed, the room became the Andrews’ common room.
During 1964 and 1965, the girls of St Anne’s took part in various fundraising activities to bring an American girl to St Anne’s for a year. Andrews House made and sold sweets, and the girl ended up spending a happy year at St Anne’s.
Within the school, school spirit has always been strong. In 1984, Andrews House had a war cry: “Sun in the sky, feet on the ground, our great team has come to town” – which they felt helped them win both Swimming and Athletics Effort Cups and helped them come second in both events.
By 1968, each House had sports banners that the members paraded with great pride – and a good deal of noise – at the gala and on Sports Day, when Andrews managed to prevent Usherwood from achieving what would have been their 13th consecutive win.
2004 marked a major upgrade of dormitories, as well as the addition of a Boardermistress flat. All Grade 12’s are now housed in single rooms with study facilities, Grade 11’s are in double rooms with study facilities, and Grade 10’s have a study area within the House.
The Other Houses
Frances Baines House was named after Miss Frances Baines, Lady Warden of St Anne's from 1907-1917.
Macrorie House was named after Bishop Macrorie, who was involved with St Anne's from its inception in...
Marianne Browne House was named after Miss Marianne Browne, Lady Warden of St Anne's from 1890 - 1903...
In 1924, a property was purchased from Mr Mortimer to enable the St Anne’s Preparatory School to move...
Usherwood House was named after Miss Eliza Usherwood, Lady Warden of St Anne's from 1879 - 1889.