To nurture ‘The 21st Century St Anne’s Old Girl’
The Vision Document
A Christian foundation committed to:
- Reflect: Integrity, Respect, Self-discipline
- Embrace: Intellectual Curiosity, Diversity, Collaboration
- Reach Out: Compassion, Humility, Service
To provide an excellent, balanced and globally relevant education in a caring, boarding environment which allows girls to develop to their full potential and to be guided by Christian principles, enabling them to leave the College confident and well-prepared for the future.
Girls joining St Anne’s enter into a rich and colourful tradition, a heritage that began in 1877 and which, to this day, is very much a part of the St Anne’s culture.
At the turn of the 20th Century an increase in enrolment at St Anne’s, then situated in Loop Street, Pietermaritzburg, necessitated a move to new and larger premises. The Lady Warden, Miss Usherwood, suggested a move out of the heat of Pietermaritzburg. A farm in Hilton with its more invigorating climate was purchased.
In 1903 the foundation stone of the College was laid on its new site with superb views of the Drakensberg Mountains. This move to Hilton proved to be a wise decision, allowing for expansion of numbers and facilities over the years that followed. A chapel, new boarding houses, laboratories, classrooms, a theatre, a media centre, sporting facilities and sports fields have been added to the original buildings. Wherever the necessary extensions and alterations have been made, the glorious old buildings have not been compromised.
Many traditions and values remain setting St Anne’s apart and giving the girls a strong sense of stability.