All girls joining St Anne's enter into a rich and colourful tradition, a heritage that began in 1877 and which, to this day, is very much a part of the St Anne's culture.
At the turn of the 20th Century an increase in enrolment at St Anne's, then situated in Loop Street, Pietermaritzburg, necessitated a move to new, larger premises. The Lady Warden, Miss Usherwood, suggested a move out of the heat of Pietermaritzburg. A farm in Hilton with its invigorating climate was purchased.
In 1903 the foundation stone of the College was laid on its new site with superb views of the Drakensberg.This move to Hilton proved to be a wise decision, allowing for expansion of numbers and of facilities over the years. A chapel, new boarding houses, laboratories, classrooms, theatre, media centre, sporting facilities and sports fields have been added to the original buildings. Where the necessary extensions and alterations have been made, the glorious old buildings have not been compromised.
The many traditions and traditional values remain and these set St Anne's apart and give the girls a strong sense of stability.