This house was named after Miss Dorothy Andrews, Lady Warden of St Anne’s from 1917 – 1941.
In 1926 it was decided to introduce the house system and the school was divided up into three ‘houses’ – Macrorie, Usherwood and Frances Baines – according to the dormitories in the main building. By 1943 it was felt that it was time to create a new house and so Andrews House was formed from volunteers from other houses. For the time being it was only a regrouping of dormitories until a new home could be built.
The first House Mistress was Miss Merter and Head of House was Beryl McKiever.
The opening of the new Andrews House by Bishop Fisher took place in 1946, although there was a delay in moving into the new house. A door was ceremonially unlocked on 27 June by Mrs Fisher, wife of the Bishop, while the whole school circled around the building. Andrews House was only occupied in October 1946 after it was found that the new baths were too big for the bathrooms. So the new baths went into Frances Baines, their baths were installed in Marianne Browne and the MB baths eventually went into Andrews – probably the only recorded instance of a kind of ‘musical baths.’
The MacKenzie Memorial Library was housed in the basement of Andrews House, but once a separate building for the library was completed, that room became the Andrews common room.
During 1964 and 1965 the girls of St Anne’s took part in various fundraising activities to bring an American girl to St Anne’s for a year. Andrews made and sold sweets.
Within the school, house spirit has always been strong. In 1984 Andrews House had a war cry ‘Sun in the sky, feet on the ground, our great team has come to town’ which they felt helped them win both swimming and athletics effort cups, and come second in both events.
By 1968, each house had sports banners that the members paraded with great pride, and a good deal of noise, at the gala and on Sports Day, when Andrews managed to prevent Usherwood from achieving what would have been their 13th consecutive win.
2004 marked a major upgrading of dormitories as well as the addition of a Boarder Mistress flat. All Sixth Formers are now housed in single rooms with study facilities, Fifth Formers are in double rooms with study facilities and Fourth Formers have a study area within the house.